Our church is very fortunate to have in our possession an 1895 Felgemaker Tracker Action Pipe Organ of which few remain in existence. This organ is irreplaceable, as the Felgemaker Organ Company of Erie, PA is no longer in business today. It was given to our church as a gift by Mrs. Alva Carpenter and was dedicated on August, 22, 1895.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Felgemaker Organ Company was a manufacturer of pipe organs based out of Erie, Pennsylvania in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was founded in Buffalo, New York but relocated to Erie, PA. In 1872, the company was known as the Derrick and Felgemaker Pipe Organ Company. During the 1870s, the company employed over 55 workers and had $75,000 worth of capital. The firm produced between 15 to 20 organs per week. Specialties of the company included church organs and portable pipe organs for small churches, schools and residential parlors. By 1878 the company was renamed as the A.B. Felgemaker Company, relocating the factory to larger facilities in 1888 and 1890. At the invitation of Mr. Felgemaker, German organ maker Anton Gottfried moved to Erie in 1894, where he leased space from the Felgemaker plant. The A.B. Felgemaker Company remained in business until 1917. Several workers from the Felgemaker Company, including Gottfried, joined to form the Organ Supply Industries, Inc. in Erie which is today the largest and most comprehensive pipe organ manufacturer and supply house. The company produced organs until 1918, when it ceased operations. The company's service agreements and pending contracts were then assumed by the Tellers-Kent Organ Company. Organs produced by this company are still in use at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Canton, Ohio,Lawrence University, Appleton Wisconsin, St. John's Lutheran Church, Erie, Pennsylvania, Crawford Memorial United Methodist Church, Bronx, New York, Trinity Episcopal Church, Iowa City, Iowa, St. John's Episcopal Church, Canandaigua, New York, First Congregational Church, St. Johns, Michigan, First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Elizabeth City, North Carolina, and Spencerport United Methodist Church, Spencerport, New York.
Capitol Hill Seventh-day Adventist Church in Washington, DC maintains one of the original Felgemaker pipe organs, produced before 1917.