The Avon United Methodist Church was started on March 17, 1834. A small group of forward-looking men and women gathered to formally organize "The Second Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the Town of Avon." Among the leaders were Jonathon Benson, Benjamin Smith, Amos Kellogg, Seth Miller, Jr., and Charles Isham.
For six years, the meeting place for this new congregation was an old brick school house located just south of the Roman Catholic Church. Then, after a revival series in 1839, a wood frame building was constructed on Genesee St. at a cost of $2,000.
By 1879, it was time to construct a new sanctuary. The original building was moved to the back of the lot and used for worship while the new building was constructed. The cornerstone for the new structure was set in place on September 15, 1879. The walls and steeple were completed less than a month later. The total cost of the building, including furnishings, was $9,000. An addition was later added to the church in 1963 in order to provide rooms for the church school.